Thread: Live wallpapers and battery drain

Site Manager

Status
    Level
    Achievements 250 Posts200 PostsPoll Position150 PostsTrend SetterHappy Anniversary!
    Awards Support Staff Pin - Support Staff.
    Staff Of The Month - Staff member of the month October 2011Techie Award - Computer Techie.The Black Panther - A True Panther Addict
    Gil
    Items Cookie
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EvilGirraffe PSN ID: The-Evil-Giraffe Steam ID: steviethepanther

Live wallpapers and battery drain

The android platform allows you to have live wallpapers on your home screens, these are simply moving backgrounds instead of a static image. Some of them can do other things such as provide a clock or other data, but essentially they are used to display a moving image or scene. The question I'm interested here is how much battery drain this has on your phone.

Ive done a little bit of research around the web and on forums and seems that while its obvious that useing a live wallpaper will use extra power and therefore extra battery life, the difference is not extreme it seems and shouldnt put you off using your favourite live wallpaper. You are better served by having a shorter time out time of your screen and altering the brightness down or using an auto brightness feature.

One last thing on this however is that the battery drain can also depend on the quality of coding in the live wallpaper app and how much CPU power it requires. Badly written apps can have a bad effect on battery life. Anyone using any wallpapers that they know are killing the battery life please let us know so everyone can avoid them, or at least know the reason behind their battery drain.
    -ThePanther

Status
    Level
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB ExperiencedWelcome Back!I Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
    Gil
    There is also a new way of getting backgrounds on your android phone without the power drain. Some developers have started using video scenes which look like the live wallpapers (ocean scenes, waves, trees blowing etc) but video doesn't use as much processing power and so keeps the power drain down. It will of course use the same amount battery life on the screen but that all depends on how long you have it on for. The best one I've found is the Oceans alive.

Status
    Level
    Achievements I Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh MeatJust starting outA Little Bird Told MeWelcome Back!
    Gil
    Yeah, had a look at that it did look nice, but isn't currently compatible with the Galaxy S4. Hopefully they will make it for my phone soon. Seems a bit strange not working on the latest model, its compatible with my tablet I might have to get it for that I think.