Thread: Laptop Battery is dying very quickly

Status
    Level
    Achievements I Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh MeatJust starting outA Little Bird Told MeWelcome Back!
    Gil

Laptop Battery is dying very quickly

Ive had a laptop for about a year and ive rarely had to use it out of the house, just recently Ive been trying to use it in the garden but the battery life is awful. I can stretch the life to about 45 minutes but thats only if I shut the brightness down and use all other power saving techniques which obviously is far from ideal when using it outside. Do I need to change my battery?

Site Manager

Status
    Level
    Achievements 250 Posts200 PostsPoll Position150 PostsTrend SetterHappy Anniversary!
    Awards Support Staff Pin - Support Staff.
    Staff Of The Month - Staff member of the month October 2011Techie Award - Computer Techie.The Black Panther - A True Panther Addict
    Gil
    Items Cookie
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EvilGirraffe PSN ID: The-Evil-Giraffe Steam ID: steviethepanther
    Its unlikely that your laptops battery will be able to recover from this problem, so a new battery is definately required if you want to use it outside in the furure or anywhere else not connected to the mains. I'm guessing if you have the laptop in the house all the time that its always plugged into the mains? If this is the case then I think that this is the cause of the battery degradation. While there is some debate on whether keeping your laptop plugged in is really bad for the battery or not the reasons suggestion that its not a good idea are sound. Keeping your battery allways on full charge will keep the battery hot or very warm at best and this is a definately a way to slowly kill your betteries life. Being as this is exactly what has happened to me in the past I'm on the side that says that it is a battery killer.

Best practice is to plug the laptop in again when its nearly empty and unplug when full. But If you get a new battery keep the old one and use one for outside and keep it in a cool place, while using the old battery in the house for when its always plugged in as that one is pretty much shot as it is.
    -ThePanther

Status
    Level
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB ExperiencedWelcome Back!I Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh Meat
    Gil
    Got to keep the laptop cool for best battery life. Having it plugged in all the time will shorted the lifespan of the battery, but also using it in places where the system gets hot will not help. Avoid using it in bed directly on the quilt cover for example is this stops the airflow. Try and use a laptop stand with a fan built in if possible and don't leave them in direct sunlight. However they all have a life and sometimes the battery just dies and you have to get a new one.