A costly glitch in the new game Dead Space 3 was allowing players to obtain in game items for free that would normally have to be paid for. The glitch would allow players to simply walk back into certain area's and claim things that they haave already been gained. Normally this would not be a problem for a publisher, (in this case Electronic Arts) but Dead Space 3 was trialing a now type on in game payment system, which players would have to pay to get extra equipment and other in game items. So players obtaining things for free is far from ideal for the publisher. This of course opens up another discusion point. That point is that paying for things in a game that already costs you the full retail price is going to anger some gamers. We have all become used to paying extra for extra game content. New maps for multiplayer games, extra missions and spin off from the original game that can take the game further. But in this instance we are talking about the main core gameplay asking for more cash. EA state that you dont "need" the extra stuff in the game to complete but it will help you on the way. I for one do not like the way this is going. I am all for the Freemium model where a game is given away for free and if you like it you pay for extra items and benefits to keep playing that game. But to pay £40 or even more and then be expected to pay for extra's in the main game seems to far for me and I'm sure many others.

Reading the news on this issue has also raised another point as a soliciter has voiced his own oppinion on the matter. He stated that exploiting a glitch in a game that would result in gaining something that you would otherwise have to pay for is in fact theft. He compares this to walking into a shop and paying for an item with a fiver for example and recieving change as if you handed over a tenner. Seems an honest mistake, but apparently if you walk away knowing that you have received more change than you should and do not give it back, this is also classed as theft. The world wide web really has cast a large grey area over the law.