Thread: XBOX 720 to go Blu-Ray and to prevent second hand games??

Site Manager

Status
    Level
    Achievements 250 Posts200 PostsPoll Position150 PostsTrend SetterHappy Anniversary!
    Awards Support Staff Pin - Support Staff.
    Staff Of The Month - Staff member of the month October 2011Techie Award - Computer Techie.The Black Panther - A True Panther Addict
    Gil
    Items Cookie
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EvilGirraffe PSN ID: The-Evil-Giraffe Steam ID: steviethepanther

XBOX 720 to go Blu-Ray and to prevent second hand games??

The latest rumour about the Xbox 720 that is circulating the net is that the Xbox 720 will transfer the optical drive from the DVD over to Blu-Ray, this seems a perfectly reasonable assumption becuase the capacity of a DVD i doubt will cut it when it comes to next generation games, we can assume that this rumour holds some water. The next part of the rumour may have to taken with a pinch of salt but at the same time may happen when you consider whats already happening.

If this is to be believed then the Xbox 720 wont play second hand games, quite how they are planning on doing this I'm not sure but i know that it wont go down well with the games playing massive. It will however be good news for the games creators and publishers who feel they are missing out because they get nothing from the sale of second hand games. Some publishers such as EA Games have already taken the matter into there own hands by requiring you to purchase an onlione pass from them is the game is used on a seperate console, there way of getting back what they claim is lost revenue.

would you purchase a console if you were prevented from buying second hand games? or have you already stopped buying from publishers suchas EA Games who require an extra payment for the privalidge of playing online with a second hand game?
    -ThePanther

Site Manager

Status
    Level
    Achievements 500 Posts250 Posts200 PostsHappy Anniversary!Trend Setter150 Posts
    Awards Support Staff Pin - Support Staff
    Gamer Certified! - Participated in the CoD tournamentCarnage - Most kills in CoD tournament.Staff Of The Month - Staff member of the month November 2011MvP - MvP in CoD tournement.The Black Panther - A True Panther Addict
    Gil
    Items Epic FailFace PalmMan-ThongChocolate MuffinCookie
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xNeo Angelox PSN ID: xNeo_Angelox
    I think it is a terrible idea to prevent second hand games from being played as a lot of the games industry revolves around second hand games, you've got to think that once a person has completed a game they aren't going to want to playthrough it again in the near future and will sell it on. Games companies aren't missing out since they never had revenue from second hand games and they've managed so long, all they need to do is bring out a game by where everyone will want it (like the call of duty series, elder scrolls series and more) its not like games stay at the same price forever, as time goes by they lose value just like anything else, so even if the companies sold through their initial stock to supermarkets etc it would be the loss of the supermarket if they didn't sell the games.

That brings us to the next part why second hand games are so important for the industry, people can trade in games at certain retailers and get money back which they can use to potentially buy a new game, the company then has a game they can now make extra money off by selling it higher than they bought it for. Most games companies get way more money from games than the people that actually buy stock of said game so i don't really understand why after so many years they want to try to get more money. To me this sound like typical microsoft wanting to punish gamers for buying their consoles with extra spends on stuff you don't need to do, should second hand games be eliminated it would destroy the games industry, piracy would rocket and games companies would make even less.

Status
    Level
    Achievements Just starting outWelcome Back!I Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieFresh MeatA Little Bird Told Me
    Gil
    I don't think i'd ever buy a console if i couldn't play second hand games on it as i tend to only buy second hand games because i cannot find a reason to fork out the money it costs for a new game. so they'd of lost one customer there
    I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    - Mitch Hedberg

Status
    Level
    Achievements vB ExperiencedI Survived a Month!A Little Bird Told MeJust starting outWelcome Back!No Longer a Newbie
    Gil
    I agree with Missy however i do think that it is a good idea to protect the hard work of the gaming companies but i can't see this really hitting off customer end of things.

Status
    Level
    Achievements 25 PostsI'm Not Alone!vB ExperiencedWelcome Back!I Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie
    Awards Member Of the Month - Member of the month October 2011
    Gil
    Seems like a good way to drive their customers to the other side, however having said that, SONY have done something a little similar but not to that extent with the PSvita, if you borrow your friends Vita game and play it you cannot earn trophies on it unless you wipe all the data on the game so it erases all save files and things so you can get trophies on it.